Thursday, October 9, 2008

Spoof, Spam, Lurk and Lag: the Aesthetics of Text-based Virtual Realities

This article was really confusing for me and made it hard for me to follow. I tried to understand it but became really bored with most of it. I didn't understand a lot of the terminology that they were using. Spam was one that I kind of understood and was informed that people could use three types of spam when it comes to typing a message:playful, ambiguous and pernicious. I can see why people would use the first one. After reading over the article a few times I can better understand the article. I see that a "spoof" (unattributed communication) something that shouldn't be said but is said for just because. "spam" (excess of communication) and is often takes up space and time for people to read and often will slow things down for everyone, "lurk" (refusal to communicate)This would be hard to deal with when trying to have a conversation with anyone online.

No comments: